Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Regifted Chocolates

Over the past several years my boyfriend and I have never made a big deal out of Valentine's Day. I really don't think we've ever done much more than sending each other cards. The combination of both of our birthdays being in February and a long distance relationship meant fancy dates were simply not expected or possible.


This year we went out to dinner for an early Valentine's Day with a group of his work friends. Later that week I dropped off a card and a few small things, as the bf was having an especially long, tiring week. I explained in a note that it off as a combination Valentine's Day and a mid-week pick me up gift.


A couple days later when we were finally able to hang out again he handed me a heart shaped box of chocolates. As he did so, he mumbled something about not being able to do much this year. For some reason I asked him where he got the box (thinking it was maybe from his mom). He told me it was from work and followed up with, "I'm not going to lie to you."


It might sound silly, but hearing those words meant more than if he had simply bought chocolates for me. I've always valued his carefully chosen words and trusted him completely. The bf is a thinker, and I consider it a privilege when he expresses something and provides glimpses of what goes on in his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment