Thursday, July 21, 2011

Chart Review

Two patients have tugged on my heart strings recently...

The first was an older individual who basically came in with "altered mental status." According to this patient's friend this change was very recent. The patient was estranged from family with only this friend as a reliable source of information. No one is quite sure of a diagnosis, but this patient seemed to have a rapidly progressing disease that caused cognitive changes and impaired the patient's ability to be safe and independent. 

The second individual came in with complaints of pneumonia and swelling/pain in both legs. I learned when reading the chart that the patient's spouse had recently passed away. One of the other things in the chart was a complaint of red/irritated eyes from crying a lot. There was also a note in the chart about sleeping/anxiety meds being prescribed. I wanted to give this patient a hug so, so badly, but it wasn't the appropriate time or place. Things were further complicated by a language barrier between the patient and myself.

I very thankful for the relationship I had with my daddy. I cannot imagine having a strained (or estranged) relationship and not having time to make peace. I can relate to the tears and sleeplessness. Everyday I am reminded that life is complicated, messy, and full of hurt, and that I can't fix everything. 
I am also reminded that I am blessed beyond measure.

I could use a good hug... and I bet those patients could too.

No comments:

Post a Comment