Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hands of Christ

Today was the most meaningful and worthwhile day I've had in a long time.

I have been so hesitant to get too involved or invested with things in town, since I don't know when/where I'll find a job. Well, the job finding process has been slow, and I'm a little disappointed in how selfish and lazy I've been. I've realized this selfish, lazy person is not who I want to be or was meant to be.

Long story short: I'm really thankful I volunteered to help a couple from church move their belongings. Below are a few of my thoughts/realizations from today.

1. Moving is a pain.
This one is pretty obvious to anyone who has ever moved... ever. Here are a few more specific reasons: That paralyzing feeling of not knowing where to start. Some things don't fit into boxes very easily. Wrapping up fragile items. Finding ways to pack knick knacks. Underestimating the amount of time needed. The game of Tetris one must play in order to maximize space. Although, to be completely honest I kind of enjoy that last one a little.


2. I want to downsize my stuff.
I don't need a lot to make me happy, and I don't want to be deceived into thinking I do. The more stuff you have, the more there is to move. I am blessed and have some really basic things for which I need to be thankful. I am blessed and have some nice things for which I need to be thankful. I want the things I have to be things I use, enjoy, and/or appreciate.

3. It's really easy to judge people and how they live.
Eek, I can't believe I just typed that. Overall, I think people were really understanding and compassionate today. There were a few times, however, where observations were made that had a hint of being judgmental. For example, the home was full of personal touches that weren't the easiest to pack up... like miniature figurines or certain decorations. Or when you add on a phrase like, "especially for a mobile home," I feel like it adds an air of judgement. Or when trying to understand why someone has so much plastic bowls and containers. One I could totally relate to was going through the pantry and tossing expired items. (We recently did the same in our fridge after YEARS of not checking dates.)

4. Hands of Christ.
Today I was really blown away by seeing the body of Christ in action. My church has so many people who are willing to give of themselves. The couple we were helping are part of the Hands of Christ ministry at church. This ministry serves the deaf and heard of hearing. I'm assuming the name partly comes from using their hands to communicate through signing. I thought it was so neat today that we were able to use our hands to serve this couple by packing and moving their belongings.

No comments:

Post a Comment