Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cardboard Testimony / Perfection

At camp last summer some of the leaders had an opportunity to share their cardboard testimonies. (If you've never heard of cardboard testimonies, then check this video out.)

After hearing what we would be doing, these some of the thoughts running through my head... Nothing remarkable has ever happened to me. I don't feel like I've faced any great adversity (side note: obviously this was before my life was turned upside down). I grew up in a family where I knew I was loved and where going to church was a priority. I had never moved. I had never been badly sick or injured. I had never been tempted with drinking and partying. Sure, I had my issues, but I had a pretty charmed childhood.

Then I realized that the kids needed to hear these stories too. They needed to hear from those people that might seem to have it all together from the outside. They needed to see God working in the everyday hearts and everyday lives of those around them.

I brainstormed four different possibilites in my journal. Each one had to do with a time or a season where I grew to know, love, and trust the Lord and His promises more. The one I ended up using and hoping would impact at least one person was:

I thought I had to be perfect to be loved.

(flip)

God loves me perfectly.

I think one of the first times I really remember God working on my heart to accept my circumstances and trust Him was when I was a sophomore in high school. Long story short, I received my first less than perfect grade and life went on. I learned to let go of some of my perfectionistic tendencies and trust in Him. Again during my junior year, I was given an opportunity to trust in Him and His plan when I was cut from the varsity soccer team. I learned that I could still be accepted and loved even when, in my eyes, I had failed at something. With time I have been able to view not making the team as a blessing.

Have you ever thought about what your cardboard testimony would be?

No comments:

Post a Comment